Saturday, January 29, 2011

Onion Rings

We love nothing more than yummy deep fried onion rings in the summertime. If you are looking for a healthier option once in a while, give these a try. They are baked, not fried. I saw them on a cooking show, and I am not sure of the name of the show, so I will have to look and see if I can come up with a source.

They were very yummy, but obviously if you want that fried taste, don't even bother with them. They are simple, but a little bit time consuming. The kids all liked them, which really surprised me, so I think for now and again, they hit the spot.



















Ingredients:

Vidalia onions, sliced a bit thick (I used four onions, and it was a TON)
3 or 4 cups low fat buttermilk
1/2 salt
2 tblsp. flour

1/2 cup flour and a ziploc bag
cooking spray
1 bag of baked potato chips

Process the chips in your food processor until they are all crushed, though not powdery. (You may add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to them.) Add 2 tblsp. flour. Place into a shallow dish.
Add the salt to the buttermilk in another shallow bowl or dish.
Place your onion rings into the ziploc bag with 1/2 cup flour and shake to coat. Now, dip each onion into the buttermilk mixture first, then the crushed chips.
Place them in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. Give them a light spray with your cooking spray to help them brown.
Bake at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting.. so thats what you've been doing today. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha:) Actually I baked this morning, then we went for a ride. Stopped by to see Timmy and Austin, but they had already packed up to leave. I was hoping to get some pics of their home away from home:) Then got home mid afternoon and thought I'd try these for dinner.

    ReplyDelete